One of my side projects I was working on over the past few weeks was refurbishing some chairs I have on the front porch. I’ve been wanting to do this for some time, and finally got underway when I repainted the railing out front last week since I had to dirty a brush with the same semi-gloss black I was going to use to paint the chairs. I really wish I had taken a picture of these before I started because the old vinyl covers were ripped, and the metal was rusted and hideous. As they are right now they look brand new! The painting was easy, and a welcome diversion from the work on the railing which was more than tedious. The re-upholstering on the other hand was a new experience for me to say the least. Click on the thumbnails for larger pictures.
After I tore apart the old coverings and measured the pieces we went to the store for some new canvas. The first thing I had to do after cutting out new pieces was pin the long strip of fabric which surrounds the piping. There’s probably much easier ways to do all of this, but I don’t know them yet, so I got to sit there and set all this up by hand. After this was pinned I stitched it as close to the piping as I could get. This was pretty easy.
After that was done it was time to get the pins out again and start working the seat pad into place. It took me a good while to figure out exactly where it went (hint: I eventually had to use a compass and an old geometry text book to complete this without going insane) Then I had to remove each of the pins individually in a circular motion and re-pin them with the outside wall of the chair in place too (no photo for that step, it was late and I was tired). After all the stitching was done I stuffed the old padding inside, stapled it down to the old plywood base, and viola! The finished product!